Salad has been the first and foremost meal throughout the years when it comes to healthy foods. Even more healthy than your regular salad, a broccoli salad offers a healthy and tasty way for you to start the day. The great thing about this is that broccoli goes well with a lot of other ingredients. That means you can create your very own salad with anything you want.
To make the salad, you do not need to cook the broccoli first. Raw broccoli can work amazingly with other vegetables and ingredients. The broccoli, of course, has to be washed thoroughly first before used. If you do not like raw broccoli, you can boil it first and then soak it in cold water to dissipate the heat and keep the broccoli crispy. Too many heats can ruin the other ingredients.
Broccoli salad is very easy and fast to make, depending on the ingredients you put inside the salad. However, do not put too much meat or carbohydrates in the salad. Having too much meat or carbohydrates can defeat the original purpose of salad as a low carbohydrate and healthy meal. There are several other ingredients that go well with your broccoli and of course add to the deliciousness.Print
Even more healthy than your regular salad, a broccoli salad offers a healthy and tasty way for you to start the day. The great thing about this is that broccoli goes well with a lot of other ingredients. That means you can create your very own salad with anything you want.
- 1/2 cup crumbled bacon² (60g)
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries (85g)
- 1/2 cup salted sunflower seeds (60g)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese thicker, not finely shredded (115g)
- 1/3 cup red onion diced into small pieces (50g
- 5–6 cups broccoli florets¹ 1 lb, this was about 2 1/2 heads of broccoli for me (450g)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon white wine vinegar⁴
- 1/4 cup sour cream³ (70g)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup mayo I use olive oil mayo (175g)
- 3 Tablespoons sugar (40g)
Combine broccoli florets, cheddar cheese, dried cranberries, bacon, sunflower seeds, and onion in a large bowl.
In a separate, small bowl, whisk together mayo, sour cream, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper until smooth and well-combined.
Pour dressing over broccoli combination and toss or stir well.
Broccoli salad may be served immediately, but for best flavor refrigerate for at least one hour before serving. Make sure to toss broccoli salad thoroughly again before serving.
Keep refrigerated if not consuming right away.
- never blanch my broccoli when making broccoli salad. If you wish to, blanch it in boiling water for 60 seconds. Drain and rinse with cold water immediately until broccoli has cooled, and then dry well before using.
- If cooking and crumbling your own bacon, you’ll need about 8 strips. If you prefer to use pre-cooked/crumbled bacon, make sure you buy the kind made with real bacon (it should say it on the label) and not “bacon flavored bits” with imitation flavor.
- Some or all of the sour cream may be substituted with plain Greek yogurt.
- White wine vinegar is my preference, but red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar or champagne vinegar will also work great here.
How to Store Broccoli Salad
Broccoli Salad may be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days. If you are making several days in advance, I recommend storing the salad and the dressing separately, then tossing everything together at least an hour before serving.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American